Trumpeter 1/700 Prinz Eugen – 1942

Spread the love

The German Prinz Eugen is one of the cruiser that I long for to build and finally managed to complete it. Is a 3 month process, mainly due to work commitment, but manage to find an hour or two during night to build some parts. I’ve chosen the trumpeter 1/700 -1942 version but realised the color scheme is not really what want. So I did a 1941 version instead and that’s where I made a big mistake. The 1941 and 1932 version does have some differences in gun placement and some other details. Since I’ve already done up the masking for the camo I really don’t feel like doing the chances again. Furthermore I kinda prefer the 1941 camo scheme.

German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugene - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugene – 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen – 1942

The photo-etch detailing kit are from Fly Hawk. Which really enhanced the detail. I remember in the past, I’m always reluctant to use PE for ship because of the fine parts and need to due with super glue. After trying PVA (white glue), the use of Photo-etch parts is so much easier. It is easy to clean with water and glue stains are not so visible. With its elastic characteristic,  the PE will not break easily.

German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen – 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen – 1942

For this Kit, I choose not to use the Wooden deck, not that i don’t want to use it, but I would like to try painting the deck instead. I used the Tamiya flat earth mix with Tamiya Buff to get the base color for the deck. After, I did a wash using the burnt Sienna and burnt umbra oil paint to darken the overall deck and also create a subtle panel line for the deck. after the wash has dried. I then masked the deck and prepare for the airbrushing for the hull and the rest of the parts.

German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugene - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen – 1942

The fine detail’s are done with acrylic paint using fine brushes. I also did some touching up using acrylic black for some parts of the cam on the ship main body.

German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen - 1942

As for the rigging, I’m quite comfortable with burning spruce to create fine rig. Similar to PE, I prefer to use PVA glue to do up the rigging.

German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen - 1942

 

German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugene - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen – 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen - 1942
German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen – 1942

Spread the love

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *